Sunday, 30 September 2007

Here



So I am settling into my new life here in England. The first week I was submersed with the international students, of which i am one, and its been fun. Trying to get a cell phone (not having a cell phone attached to my hip is driving me crazy, didn't realize how badly I need it to communicate and how much i really do want to call home) and bank account and ID's for everything you can think of have had me running around with lots of walking and sorting things out.

I have received a warm welcome from the people here. I got to spend a wonderful evening with the Vineyard pastor and his family here in the area and they also had some more people over that i got to meet. Everyone has been really great, giving me cell phones to plates/bowls to a possible bike. It is nice to immediately be welcomed into families lives and homes right from the start. I honestly am not quite sure to make of it but am blessed for the Lord's favor.

What i have noticed here that is different from the states is that there are no real titles. My professor prefers we call him by his first name rather than Doctor or professor, etc. It seems that there was always such a barrier, in my perspective at least, with titles and positions in general, yet here my first week all those were torn down and never even existed in areas where they normally would have brought a great gulf/divide between people of status/authority verses the common person.

I went jogging yesterday near a sweet canal. I love the area in which I live, it's old school houses and lots of green. I went to church today in a pub. SO my kind of thing. It was in an upstairs room, kind of like how Rock Harbor uses the Shark club to meet, we used the upstairs of the bar and then stayed and ate lunch together after.

I have my induction tomorrow and will start to get my classes all set up. Let the fun begin!

1 comment:

cristina said...

Yeah Jen!!! Im glad you're really liking it and its not all crazy culture shock for you!!!